Saturday 9 May 2009

St. Malachy's Church

St Malachy's Church
On Sundays, my thoughts usually turn to sport rather than religion. Being a county Antrim man my expectations of county success is restrained by a lengthy memory. However, being an O’Neill, I think I can always legitimately root for Tyrone. As for soccer, I would just as soon watch paint dry.
For those of you who are more inclined to consider more celestial Sunday activities, I would highly recommend a visit to the recently opened, St. Malachy’s church in Belfast’s markets neighbourhood.
Built in 1844, three years before the terrible starvation that stalked this island, it has been refurbished and was re-opened and the altar dedicated, in a ceremony led by The Most Reverend Dr. Noel Treanor, Bishop of Down and Connor, in March this year.
If you do visit, one thing you are unlikely to see is the crypt, pictured in the last photo in the selection. Located under the altar it lay unused for many years. Plans are now in place to use it for storing cremated remains.
They say a picture paints a thousand words. I can honestly say, that the pictures here, do not do justice to the magnificent work of the craftsmen who laboured so diligently to create a truly wonderful magnum opus.


© Joe Ó Néill 2009


© Joe Ó Néill 2009


© Joe ONeill 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment